Wellington statue (Carlo Marochetti, 1844), with added cones. For decades, unknown people have placed traffic cones on the head of Wellington, and sometimes the head of the horse. The cones are periodically removed and replaced, to the extent the cones have become almost an expected part of the artwork. In 1996, the building behind the statue became the Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA). In this context, the ‘statue with cones’ becomes part of the artistic spectacle of the location.